2015’s proudest moments
Posted by steveko
on December 26, 2015
Self-doubt is awful, so this is for Future Steve: here are lots of things you did in 2015 that you can be proud of!
- Created opentransportdata.org: Swagger API documentation for PTV’s real-time API, as part of the VicTripathon hackfest. PTV’s documentation is a developer’s nightmare. My version has live testing of the API built in and links to various wrappers in different languages.
- Designed a process for judging mobile apps (way outside my area of expertise!) for VicTripathon, across 4 different platforms, with help from Installr. Measure of success: the devs said it was ok.
- Created opentrees.org: a fun way to explore the combined tree inventories of a dozen councils across Australia.
- Created openbinmap.org: uses open data published by councils in standard formats to tell you if it’s bin night where you live. Provides a nice incentive for councils publishing their first datasets.
- Created standards.opencouncildata.org: lightweight, open standards so that councils publishing the same data can do so in an interoperable way. And some of them are actually using it!
- opencouncildata.org: The OpenCouncilData toolkit (co-created with Ellen Bicknell), provides a lot of guidance and useful background for councils embarking on the open data journey.
- map.opencouncildata.org: A constantly updated map showing exactly how many datasets each council is currently publishing.
- csv-geo-au: A standard for publishing spatial data that refers to regions such as ABS statistical divisions or Australian commonwealth electoral divisions.
- Helping get VicRoads and Geelong’s street-level imagery on Mapillary.
- Building an automatic feed of real-time environmental data into City of Melbourne’s open data portal.
- AusTrails.org: A proof of concept for a super trail finder, which won a GovHack prize with help from Matt Cengia.
- Built 5 Terria-based maps: NEII Viewer (BOM), City of Sydney Environment and Sustainability Portal, a proof of concept for the Greater Sydney Commission, Northern Australia Investment Map, and ParlMap. The last is not public, but a really nice clone of NationalMap providing access to historical election and electoral boundary data for parliamentarians and the Parliamentary Library staff.
- Helped organise HealthHack: we had 10/10 happy problem owners in Melbourne, 60 participants, and a really awesome atmosphere.
- Wrote the definitive guide to YAML multi-line strings. (Ok, I started it last year, but most of the grunt work was this year).
- Participated in developing the next version of Fiscal Data Package, including a major change in presentation.
- Got a photo I took on the front cover of a book, Exploring the Jagungal Wilderness. (It’s also a physical book).
- Spoke about open data and National Map at lots of events: Local Government Spatial Reference Group, data.gov.au forum, MAV Technology forum (local government), WebNetwork (local government), NewTech (state government), Open Data Government Community Forum (federal)
- Organised a Spatial Analytics for Policy Makers Workshop in the Victorian Government, with speakers from four different mapping platforms represented.
- Taught mapping workshops at La Trobe and Victoria University.
- Refactored and seriously improved part of the TerriaJS code that that deals with region mapping CSV files, plus much better choroplething.
- Designed and launched the GeoNext hackfest.
- Co-organised 5 cycle tours: Moe-Inverloch-Port Albert-Rosedale, Nelson-Warrnambool, Geelong-Rye-Melbourne, Tallarook-Jamieson-Benalla, Mt Beauty-Hotham-Falls Creek-Wangaratta.
GIT is obviously a joke, the documentation of git is so big, how many hours i need to spend to read it and *fully* understand it, just because i want to add something in server whereas i’m the solely developer right now ? i just upset right now because i have commit/pust failed the ask me to rebase or merge, then rebase failed again and i need to abort rebase. Then commit/push faield again due to merge unfinished. “merge unfinished” ? So now i merge and get fatal error and no idea how to fix:
“0 files committed, 1 file failed to commit: Merge remote-tracking branch ‘origin/master’ # Conflicts: # build.gradle error: commit is not possible because you have unmerged files. hint: Fix them up in the work tree, and then use ‘git add/rm ‘ hint: as appropriate to mark resolution and make a commit. fatal: Exiting because of an unresolved conflict. during executing git -c core.quotepath=false commit -F /tmp/git-commit-msg-.txt –author= — cannot do a partial commit during a merge.”